How I Pinterest my Day!

Monday, February 2, 2009

Whats the big deal?

I am not always the best visiting teacher. My determination to get it done varies from semester to semester; some semesters I am great, others I am not. Last semester happened to be one of those semesters where I am not. So I started this semester with a fresh determination to be 100% in my visiting teaching and to really get to know the girls I am teaching. Because of the restriction of time, and the fact that I was unsuccesful in finding my girl's phone numbers, my companion and I resorted to simply dropping by with treats to introduce ourseves to our girls. Laura was home and we had a nice chat getting to know each other. Inga was not home so we left her the treats and a note.

On sunday I saw Inga and I wanted to say hi to her and let her know we were sorry we missed her. But after a touching lesson in Relief Society about visiting teaching I felt stupid going up to her because I didn't want her to think it was only because of the lesson we just had. So I hung back. But to my surprise she came up to me! She very sweetly thanked me for the treats and continued to tell me that they came at the perfect time. Turns out she had a really bad day and it gave her some comfort to know that somebody loved her. that really touched me! I've never felt like my visiting teaching has ever made a difference, which is probably why I am not always the best at getting it done. But this just taught me that the Lord always has his hand in everything! It was no coincidence that I dropped off those treats on that particular day and it is no doubt that I needed that experience to re-engerize my efforts.

This also got me thinking. Lately there has been so many situations where I have wanted to say hi to someone just passing by, or wanted to express appreciation or gratitude to someone but have held back because I felt "stupid," then later found out that that person said something nice about me to someone else or saw me and wanted to say hi as well, but didn't. I have regreted it every time! How silly is that! I think its about time for me to realize that it does not matter what someone else may think about you , especially if you are only trying to be sincere and say something nice. Everyone loves kindness! Isn't that the whole point to life, to love and serve each other? How sad our lives would be without a little bit of kindness everyday? I say, lets just forget our insecurities, enjoy each other, love the relationships we have, AND LET THEM KNOW IT! =D

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed reading this. This is a great lesson. Something we all need to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just looking through my VT district numbers and I was so sad to see our numbers are so low lately. Then I read your blog and I was reminded that it's not about the numbers; it's about the relationships we form and the wonderful moments that come about as a result of them, like you just shared. :)

    Hope everything is going well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great experience to have! I also have struggled with getting out and doing my VTing before, but then I remember how sad I am when I am completely forgotten (one place Tyson and I lived we didn't see a visiting teacher or home teacher for probably 6 months or more!) and that helps give me a push!

    Great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it cool how we gain insights (probably even every day if we pay attention)in rather ordinary ways? That was a lovely experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY for Visiting Teaching!! You, my dear, are amazing! =)

    ReplyDelete